Flamboyant Justine's wide spectrum of activities include pain staking research to leadership. She held Executive positions of the Students Council during her Bachelors at John Hopkins University and in KAUST too.
Her overall area of interest focuses on applying engineering and technological solutions to global social concerns. Most of her work has been focused on improving water technologies including the optimization Baltimore city water systems, water desalination, and water trading. Her current work involves the integration of nanotechnology with energy harvesting and improved water technologies.
1) Justine E. Mink, Muhammad Mustafa Hussain, “Sustainable Design of High Performance Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cell with Carbon Nanotube Anode and Air Cathode”, ACS Nano
, 2013, 7 (8), pp 6921–6927 (DOI: 10.1021/nn402103q).
[Highlighted in Nanowerk as spotlight: A sustainable nanotechnology design for micro-sized microbial fuel cells, Read more: http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=31646.php#ixzz2iWNbxmJY
[Highlighted September 2013 in Beacon (KAUST monthly magazine), KAUST Quarterly E-News Letter Sep 2013]
2) J. E. Mink, R. M. Qaisi, M. M. Hussain, “Graphene based Flexible Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cell”, Energy Technology
, doi: 10.1002/ente.201300085. [Cover Page]
3) J. E. Mink, J. P. Rojas, M. M. Hussain, “Role of Contact Engineering in Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cell” physica status solidi A
, DOI:10.1002/pssa.201330233 (2013) [Cover Page]
4) J. E. Mink, R. Qaisi, B. E. Logan, M. M. Hussain, “Energy Harvesting from Saliva in Micro-Sized Microbial Fuel Cells” Nature Asia Materials
5) J. E. Mink, J. P. Rojas, B. E. Logan, M. M. Hussain, “Vertically grown multi-walled carbon nanotube anode and nickel silicide integrated high performance micro-sized (1.25 uL) microbial fuel cell”, Nano Lett.
, 2012, 12 (2), pp 791–795
6) M. M. Hussain, H. Fahad, J. Rojas, M. Hasan, A. Talukdar, J. Oommen and J. Mink, "Self-powered integrated systems-on-chip (energy chip)", Proc. SPIE 7679, 767914 (2010); doi:10.1117/12.850811 [Invited]
7) J. Mink, M. M. Hussain, “Excellent Endurance of MWCNT Anode in Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cell”, IEEE 12th International Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE NANO) 2012, Birmingham, UK
8) J. Mink, M. M. Hussain, “High Performance Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cell for Lab-On-Chip”, 2012 Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
9) J. Mink, M. M. Hussain, “Carbon Based Nanomaterials for Micro-sized Microbial Fuel Cells”, North American - International Society of Microbial Electrochemical Technologies Meeting 2012, Ithaca, New York, USA
10) Justine Mink, Muhammad Hussain, “Graphene Anode Integrated High-performance Mico-Sized Microbial Fuel Cell”, MRS Fall Meeting 2012, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
11) J. Mink, J. Rojas, M. M. Hussain, “CNT-Enbled Microsized Microbial Fuel Cell”, 5th Graduate Research Seminar at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) 2011, Dammam, KSA [Best Paper Award]
12) J. Mink, J. Rojas, M. M. Hussain, “Carbon Nanotube Anode Producing Improved Power Density in 1.25 µl Micro-Microbial Fuel Cell”, 3rd International Microbial Fuel Cell Conference 2011, Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
13) J. Mink, J. Rojas, M. M. Hussain, “CNT-Enhanced Microfabricated Microbial Fuel Cell”, 4th Graduate Seminar Day at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) 2010, Dammam, KSA
14) US Provisional Patent Application No. 61/596,512: Micro-sized CNT enabled microbial fuel cell, Jhonathan P. Rojas, Muhammad M. Hussain, Justine E. Mink
PhD, Environmental Science and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, 2013 (expected)
Masters, Environmental Science and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, 2010
Bachelors with Honors, Engineering (Civil/Environmental), Johns Hopkins University, 2009
Bachelors with Honors, International Relations, Johns Hopkins University, 2009
Scientific and Professional Memberships
Society of Women Engineers
American Society of Civil Engineers
Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers
KAUST Graduate Council, Executive Vice Chair, 2010-2012